Beyond the Latch ~ An Advanced Breastfeeding Skills Class
This is the class so many students have asked for after attending our “Breastfeeding Skills for the Birth Professional” class. For those that want to dive deeper, here’s your opportunity!
PLEASE NOTE: Our introductory class “Breastfeeding Skills for the Birth Professional” (or something comparable) is a prerequisite to attending this class. Please check our schedule for upcoming classes and email our Admin office if you have questions– firstname.lastname@example.org
This advanced class takes an in-depth look at conditions and situations that increase risk of breastfeeding difficulty, often leading to failure, while providing information on appropriate interventions and support. Topics covered:
- Identifying maternal and infant risk factors for breastfeeding difficulty/failure. This includes a prenatal questionnaire to help the doula identify potential risk factors, and optimally support her client.
- Identification and management of common breastfeeding problems. This includes the controversial topic of tongue-tie. The multiple ways it can present, and the optimal holistic approach to treatment and support. In addition, in-depth information on how to maintain milk supply and support breastfeeding skills in the baby.
- Common and not so common causes of sore nipples, and treatment plans.
- Review of normal breast engorgement vs pathological engorgement and review of risk-factors.
- Hospital practices that contribute to breastfeeding problems.
- Understanding breastfeeding devices: Pumps, nipple shields, supplemental nursing systems, etc.
Class hours: 1pm to 5:30pm PDT – Held in-person. Attendance provides 4 CEU’s from DONA International. Taught by Jennifer Jordan, L&D R.N., IBCLC. Jennifer has 20 years of experience supporting breastfeeding families, and 25 years of teaching in the health-care field. Experienced in Labor and Delivery, Mother-Baby, and Newborn Care. A holistic approach to patient care is the cornerstone of Jen’s practice
BY ENROLLING IN THIS COURSE OR EVENT YOU AGREE TO OUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS STATED HERE: https://sierrachildbirthinstitute.com//terms-and-conditions/